Councils which the district has been a part of
The district is named after Professor Emeritus and Lt. Col. William B. Herms (1876-1949).
The current Herms District is believed to have been formed in 1975 from the merger of at least two districts (one being the Berkeley District of the Mt. Diablo Council).The district can trace one of its roots back to the original Berkeley Council, the first council in Northern California chartered by the Boy Scouts of America in May 1916.
In the early days of Boy Scouting in the area the program was supported by volunteers. The Berkeley and Albany councils were merged, then merged with the Mt. Diablo Council (Berkeley District) which was expanded to become the Mt. Diablo Silverado Council and again expanded to become the Golden Gate Area Council